Friday, July 30, 2010

Reviews: Books from Various YA Chick-Lit Series

Here are three books, each from a different YA chick-lit series. I've grouped these books together because although I finished reading each of them, they weren't good enough for me to want to read other books in the series. Have you read any of the books in each of the following series? If so, leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you on your opinion of the book(s)!


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Book:The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #1)
Author: E. Lockhart
Genre: Chick-Lit
Pages: 229
Ages: 13+


This is an accurate telling of what happens when friends and boys mix, which is pretty common in high school. It's an easy and quick read. Not sure if I'll read the next book in the series.

Rating: 3.5/5



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Book: Secrets of My Hollywood Life (Secrets of My Hollywood Life, #1)
Author: Jen Calonita
Genre: Chick-Lit
Pages: 256
Ages: 14+



I expected much more from this; honestly I'm being generous with three stars. For a "quick read" it took ages to finish. It was a struggle to get through some parts of the story and overall this was forgetable. Considering this is a book about Hollywood life, there wasn't as much Hollywood glamour as I had hoped. There are the good parts too, don't get me wrong, but this is definitely something to read when you're about to go to sleep or don't want to have to think very much.

Rating: 2.5/5




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Book: Girls on Film (A-List, #2)
Author: Zoey Dean
Genre: Chick-Lit
Pages: 256
Ages: 16+


I have to be honest, this book took a long time to get through. Girls on Film is book 2 of the A-List series, though I read it without reading the first book. The story centers around Anna Percy, a rich teen who moves to California and interacts with the 'popular' clique and cute boys of her high school. In this book, Anna and a snooty girl are partners for a school project and decide to make a dramatisized (spelling?) film about the lives of the Beverly Hills folk. In the midst, Anna finds herself torn between to guys: The sweet and commited Adam and the unpredictable yet alluring Ben. Deep down, Anna wants to be with Ben but fears he may be no good for her. I found this book very cliche and simply became bored with the storyline. I'm all for books about privaledged teens, but I prefer The Clique series, even though it is targeted at a younger audience.

Rating: 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment