Thursday, July 29, 2010

Reviews: Confessions of Georgia Nicolson #7 and #8

Book: Startled by His Furry Shorts (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #7)
Author: Louise Rennison
Genre: Chick-Lit
Pages: 278
Ages: 13+



In the seventh installment of the Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series, Georgia anxiously awaits Masimo's answer to whether he wants to be exclusive with Georgia. In the meantime, she finds herself falling for Dave the Laugh though can't admit it. And in the end, without trying to spoil anything, she gets a surprise visit from someone from her past.

Georgia "Gee" Nicolson is a hilarious and lovable character. But I do have a few bones to pick with this story. I really, truly wanted to like it. But it went soooo slowly, all the way through! And I thought this would be a quick read. Unfortunately not the case.

Her English words (or are they unique to Gee? Hmm) are funny and quirky, but the suffix "ocity" is used a little too often for my liking. As for plot, some of the paragraphs or journal entries, I had to just skip. Nothing interesting or contributive to the plot in them. I also have to say that the writing format wasn't particularly great and thus caused a book to have too little substance for its length. There were many journal entries with a single sentence or two.

But there were many positives in the story and I would reccommend anyone ages 13-15 to read this book - you may enjoy this more than I did. Perhaps this book wasn't as good for me because I jumped in at #7 in the series. At this point I don't think I want to read the earlier books, but you never know.

I think Louise Rennison is a fantastic and witty author, and she clearly has a near perfect understanding of the mind of many teenage girls. Georgia is such a relateable character!

Rating: 2.5/5


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Book: Love is a Many Trousered Thing (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #8)
Author: Louise Rennison
Genre: Chick-Lit
Pages: 271
Ages: 13+



Summary: Georgia finds herself in the "oven of love" once again as she has feelings for three different guys. Who knew it would be so hard to have three gorgeous men liking you at once? Throughout the book Georgia flip-flops from guy to guy, trying to figure out how she really feels about each one. Later, Georgia goes on a camping trip with her class. Her friend Dave shows up and Georgia realizes she might like him more than a friend.

I didn't think it possible for me to like #8 in the series this much more than #7! But I did, and though you can skip many paragraphs and at times it can be a bit slow moving, this part of the Georgia Nicolson series is not one to miss! Well, you could read the next one and understand what is going on, but this one is a pleasure to read. There were no quotes for this book, which was shocking because I found the pages were littered with fantastic quotes. Here's one of my (many) favorites:

"biology
The film turns out to be about bees. It is a film about a bee center. How crap is this going to be?

an hour later
That was the best thing I have seen for ages. We made Miss Wilson rewind the bit where the two queens were having a bitch fight."


Overall, about a 4.5. One complaint is that Georgia NEEDS to stand up for herself against Lindsay. Georgia is so witty, yet every time Lindsay makes a rude remark, she doesn't say or do anything about it. Other than that, great storyline in this one. I'm reading the books out of order but it really doesn't matter because they are quite easy to follow. I'm someone who doesn't like realistic fiction that much, but I loved this book and thought it was a great improvement over the last Georgia Nicolson book.


Rating: 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment